(This sambhar is a traditional lunch serving on the day of pongal, this one gives most pleasant taste to enjoy it with typically made ponga choru.)
White lima beans (VellaiMochai) – 100 gms
Turmeric powder -2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 11/2 tbsp
Dry Redchilli -7 redchilli
Shallots, whole – 6nrs
Coconut, grated -3 tbsp
Tomato, diced – 1 big size
Green chilli, slitted – 2 nrs
Salt to taste
Water as required
Gingelly oil – 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds & U}?rad dhal – ½ tsp each
Dry Redchilli, broken – 1
Curry leaf – a few
Shallots, chopped – 2nrs
Method of preparation:
- Soak the white lima beans overnight in water and discard the skin of lima beans by pressing (Pithukku) it with thumb. Put these lima beans in hot box or tied it in clean white cloth and hang it to sprout.
- Finely ground the cumin seeds, dry redchilli, turmeric powder and shallots.
3. Put this sprouted white lima beans, ground masala, tomato, greenchilli and salt with enough water in pressure cooker. Allow it to cook for two whistles.
4. Remove the lid when the pressure is gone off. Add the nicely done coconut paste and stir. Keep it in simmering fire.
5. Prepare the tempering and put it over the sambhar. Close it immediately with lid and turn off the stove. Serve it hot with Ponga Choru.